Rich in Historical Charm
The traditional lands of the Wurundjeri people, and former site of one of Victoria’s most important quarries, the land upon which Kinley is built is closely linked to much of the state’s and industrial heritage.
Kinley will be carefully crafted within this truly unique and historical setting. Great care will be taken to lovingly enhance and restore the remnants of the rich agricultural and industrial heritage with new life being breathed into the reimagined historic buildings to create a community unlike any other.
These included establishing a dairy and butter factory, from which he exported high-grade products to other colonies and to London. This was followed by the addition of a bacon works next door, as well as interests in local vineyards and wineries, transport, and local government, serving as a councillor and championing the extension of the Lilydale train line from Hawthorn.
The Mitchell family continued to own and operate the Cave Hill Quarry up until 2002, and much of the site’s original industry, and David Mitchell’s incredible legacy, has been preserved, including the lime kilns, quarry site, original dairy and bacon factory.
The region was occupied by the Wurundjeri people of the Kulin nation for thousands of years prior to European settlement, and still maintains a strong connection to their country today.
A township was surveyed by colonial officials, with the Brushy Creek Post Office opening later that year. In 1861 Brushy Creek was renamed Lillydale, which was again changed to Lilydale around a decade later.
Dame Nellie Melba's birth.
Helen Porter Mitchell was born. Daughter of David Mitchell, she later became Nellie Melba and was a famous singer of the late Victorian era and the early 20th century. She toured London, Paris and New York performing in operas and concerts, and inspiring the creation of multiple dishes, all named for her.
1878 The Cave Hill Limestone Quarry was officially opened via a grand luncheon, attended by the Lord Mayor of Melbourne.
1880 The construction of Melbourne’s Royal Exhibition Building was completed using Cave Hill Quarry limestone.
1882 The Lilydale railway line opened, easing the quarry’s transport burdens. Previously, heavy bags of limestone and limestone products were transported by bullocks and dray.
David Mitchell establishes a dairy and butter factory at Quarry Hill, and begins exporting goods to London. This is soon followed by cheesemaking
A bacon curing-house and smokehouse are added to the dairy, with by-products used to make soap and candles.
Electricity took over from steam power when a new generator was installed at the quarry, driven by a water wheel. Electric lights were installed, removing the need for candles and kerosene lamps.
The quarry was remodelled and its manufacturing processes updated – one of Australia’s first continuous mixed-feed vertical shaft kilns, Kiln No.1.
During World War II, labour shortages at the quarry led to a production downturn, at a time when lime was in high demand for munition and leather manufacturing purposes.
The quarry was upgraded again, introducing modern equipment and manufacturing processes.
The Mitchell family sold the mine to Sibelco Australia Limited, a diversified industrial mineral producer and supplier.
With demand for lime products significantly reduced, the quarry closed and plans for a residential development at the site were announced.